Each year, Au Pair International invites host families to recognize the achievements of their au pair by nominating him/her for our annual Au Pair of the Year contest. We also select three nominees to be submitted to the National IAPA Au Pair of the Year contest where they will compete against other outstanding au pairs from around the world!
To be awarded Au Pair of the Year, we look for participants who will serve as a role-model for future au pair and cultural exchange participants. Someone who embodies all aspects of the au pair program including going above and beyond to care for their host children, experience the American culture, and integrate into an American family.
Au Pair of the Year Hall of Fame
Would you like to nominate your au pair for our 2024 contest? Nominating him/her for this prestigious award is a wonderful way to express gratitude for being an exceptional caregiver and an invaluable part of your family! See below for full details.
- Nominations are based on a creative video or essay composed by you, the host family, describing the characteristics that make your au pair exceptional.
- The entry deadline for the 2024 Au Pair of the Year Contest is on Sunday, January 21st, 2024 at 11:59 pm MST.
- The young person being nominated for the award must be an au pair during the 2023 year.
- Host family videos and essays will be judged by a selection panel appointed by Au Pair International (and the International Au Pair Association, if selected for national submission).
- All contest entries will become property of Au Pair International and the International Au Pair Association, including rights to edit and publish the material.
- The young person being nominated for the award must have been an au pair during the 2023 year.
- In order for your au pair to be eligible for the award, you may be required to provide verification of the essay's content.
- The winning au pair will be notified by Au Pair International.
The winning au pair will receive a $500 flight voucher through Student Universe.
We are looking for compelling reasons why you believe your au pair is exceptional. Nominations are an excellent way of recognizing the dedication your au pair shows to your children. Au pairs should not only be nominated for excellence in their childcare skills, but also for taking full advantage of the cultural exchange aspect of the program. We encourage nominations for those au pairs who strive to be an integral part of the family, and also take opportunities to experience American culture.
Nominating host families must submit:
- A creative video (.mp4 or .mov, less than 3MB) on the topics below. (A consent form must be signed for everyone appearing in the video.) OR
- An essay of no less than 500 words on the topics below.
- Photos of your au pair with your family/experiencing American culture (A consent form must be signed by everyone appearing in the photos.)
Topics that your essay or video should address:
- How did your au pair integrate into your family and the American culture?
- How did your au pair overcome the challenges experienced while being in the United States, away from their home country?
- What has your au pair been doing to experience American culture?
- What are they doing to make the best of their time in the program?
- How did your au pair make a difference in your family's life?
- The IAPA Au Pair of the Year Contest is a video-only contest.
- Select nominations will be submitted to the annual IAPA Au Pair of the Year Contest, at the discretion of Au Pair International.
- Submitted videos will be judged by a selection panel appointed by the International Au Pair Association. To ensure fairness and objectivity by the selection panel(s), the names of the au pair and the sending/receiving organization/s will not appear on contest entries.
- Host family videos will be rated, and then three au pair finalists selected amongst all agency entries.
- All contest entries will become property of the International Au Pair Association, including rights to edit and publish the material.
- The winning au pair will be required, all expenses paid, to attend the Association's 2024 Annual Conference, where he/she will be presented with a token prize and commemorative award. Should in-person attendance not be possible due to COVID restrictions, the award ceremony will be organized online.
- In order for your au pair to be eligible for the award, you may be required to provide verification of the video content.
- The winning au pair will be notified by IAPA.
IAPA Video Nomination Requirements
IAPA is looking for compelling, unique stories of cultural exchange experiences, personal growth, integration in a family, culture, language, community.
- Content: How did the au pair integrate, overcome challenges, and experience cultural exchange. What are they doing to make the best of their time abroad? How did the au pair make a difference in the family’s life?
- Creativity: Everything is possible, but it is important that the video wasn’t created by the agency or their professional staff.
- Legal compliance: Ensure that the entry is in compliance with all the legal and copyright requirements.
- Consent: Everyone featured in videos entered to sign the consent form. If someone doesn’t consent – including parents on behalf of their children – please edit the video accordingly.
- Language: IAPA accepts registrations in any language. However, for judging purposes, all videos should have English subtitle
- Technical requirements:
- Videos must be in mp4 or mov format and no larger than 3 GB
- Music can be added, however, please make sure that you are allowed to use the music. As a resource for royalty-free music for videos you can use Youtube Music Library or any other resource that offers royalty free music.
- Make sure to check whether you need to mention the source of music in your video and do so, if required.
Please read the full Terms and Conditions and also inform your au pairs and host families about the rules and regulations. Make sure to have them sign photo and video release forms that allow us to use their content.