While Au Pair International is not able to advise on matters related to au pair and host family taxes, we are happy to provide some general guidelines to assist with tax filings.  For detailed assistance, we recommend consulting with a trusted tax professional or directly with the Internal Revenue Service.

Additional information regarding au pair taxes can be found by navigating to: www.irs.gov and entering the words “au pair” in the search box. To call the IRS directly, dial 1-800-829-1040 within the US or 267-941-1000 outside of the US. Further information can be found at the following link: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/au-pairs

Tax Filing Deadline

April 18th, 2022 is the last day for residents and non-residents who earned U.S. income to file Federal tax returns for 2021.

Tax Obligation for Host Families

Upon request, we are happy to provide host families with any information they need for tax purposes. Please contact us directly if you require a summary of program fees or other payments made during the tax year.

If your tax professional determines that you are eligible to claim program fees on your taxes, you will need Au Pair International’s Tax ID number.

  • Au Pair International’s Federal Tax ID Number: 47-0861826
  • API’s Federal Tax ID number may only be used to claim the tax credit for fees paid to Au Pair International. It may not be used to claim a credit for a stipend paid to an au pair or for the cost of room and board.
  • Please note that we do not keep a record of au pair Social Security Numbers. Host families will need to obtain these directly from their au pair.

Recommended Tax and Payroll Service for Host Families

To assist with tax preparation and weekly stipend disbursements for your au pair, Au Pair International recommends using HomePay. HomePay is a comprehensive tax and payroll service for busy host families!

Tax Obligation for Au Pairs

As a non-resident in the US, each au pair participant has a tax filing obligation with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). Failure to comply with US tax obligations will result in a breach of IRS regulations and may jeopardize their chances of a successful US visa application in the future.

Required Tax Forms for Au Pairs

  • If you were physically in the U.S. as an au pair on a J1 visa anytime between January 1 – December 31, 2021, you are legally obligated to send at least one form, Form 8843, to the U.S. tax agency IRS, even if you had no income.
  • If you worked or received a stipend, grant or allowance in the US you may ALSO need to file a Form 1040NR (Federal Tax Return Form for non-residents).
  • Depending on the individual circumstances, you may ALSO need to file a state tax return(s) for each state in which you received a stipend during the tax year. State tax forms can be found on the Department of Revenue page for your state.

Recommended Tax Software

To help make tax season easier, Au Pair International recommends au pairs use Sprintax for their tax preparation needs. Sprintax will guide you through the tax preparation process, help you to prepare all of the necessary forms and documents, and will check if you are due a refund.


Sprintax Discount Code

To receive $5.00 off your federal tax return through Sprintax, use code 21API250F5

Documents Needed to Complete your Taxes

Before starting your tax paperwork, you may need to gather the following documents:

  1. Passport
  2. Visa/Immigration information, including form DS-2019 (J Status)
  3. Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have one)
  4. W-2 or bank statements to report your U.S. income
  5. U.S. entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the U.S. (In addition to passport stamps, you can review or print your U.S. travel history here)
  6. Form(s) 1099 (This form reports miscellaneous income you received during the year, such as interest earned on a bank account, stocks, bonds, dividends or earning through freelance employment)
  7. Form 1042-S (This form reports income covered by a tax treaty and any awards/prizes you received, if applicable. It will be sent to you no later than March 15th by the payer. Only non-resident aliens will receive this form)
Getting Started with Sprintax
Follow these steps to get started on your tax filings with Sprintax:
  1. Gather all necessary documents.
  2. Register with Sprintax and complete the online questionnaire to determine if you are considered a "non-resident alien" for federal tax purposes.
  3. If you are considered to be a non-resident alien, Sprintax will guide you in completing a series of questions and start to prepare your necessary federal and state tax forms.
  4. Print, sign, and mail your tax forms to the correct federal and state tax authorities.
Tax Webinars and Filing Assistance

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This